DMD 0.148 release

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Tue Feb 28 04:10:58 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:42:59 +1100, Walter Bright
<newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> "Tom" <Tom_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
> news:du049t$2uv2$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> Yes, PLEASE, WHY?? Just ONE argument against pure bools, only one and I
>> shut my
>> mouth forever!
>
> One should be very careful about stepping away from C's implicit
> promotion
> rules for a language that aims to be a successor to C. C absolutely
> *buried*
> Pascal.
>
> Pascal didn't have implicit type conversions. That meant that typical
> Pascal
> code was littered with casts. It was ugly, and I'd argue that casting
> reduces type safety, rather than enhancing it.
>
> Pascal played catchup ever since, adopting features of C. Then Pascal++
> (i.e. Modula 2) came out, which was promptly buried by C++.

How would disallowing arithmetic on bools make D like Pascal, or bring
about the "littered with casts" scenerio? I just can't see it would change
a thing, except help the compiler help coders detect possible errors in
their code.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia