Ares 0.15 release

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Tue Feb 28 06:02:25 PST 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:

>>> I've added licenses to modules that lacked them.  std.math.special
>>> still needs one, but it's from Don's MathExtra library so I'll need
>>> to sort that out separately.
>>
>> Actually I don't care. Public domain or something like the Phobos
>> license is fine by me. But as short as possible -- I really *hate*
>> those files where there's 100 lines of legalese and 2 lines of code.
>>
>> What I'd really like to find is some kind of "non-infect" free license
>> for libraries. That is, you can do anything you like with this code,
>> except that if you redistribute the source code AS SOURCE CODE, it
>> must remain with the same license. So that if it's included in a GPL
>> project, that single file doesn't get GPLed, and if it's in a
>> commercial library where the source is sold, that single file remains
>> free.
>
> The BSD (artistic) license is about as close as I've found, and is what
> I'm using for the Ares source for pretty much the same reason as you've
> indicated--I really don't care what people do with my code so long as
> they don't claim to have written it.

Yup. I'm pretty sure that's already covered by plagiarism, though. It's
certainly unethical. I've always believed that anyone that plagiarises
code is not going to behave differently if there's a license on the
code... but I could be wrong.
Still, BSD license does seems to be good for reassuring everyone that
there are no legal issues with the code.