DMD 0.163 release

John Reimer John_member at pathlink.com
Tue Jul 18 14:19:22 PDT 2006

In article <e9jfdd$1sb0$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

>http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>
>This has all the new import changes in it. That breaks a lot of existing
>code (like dmdscript), the fixes are simple (adding more import
>declarations) but tedious.
>
>I couldn't find a better keyword choice than "static import".
>
>The renaming uses '=' instead of 'as', 'from', or 'alias' for the reasons:
>
>1) didn't want to add new keywords, especially ones like 'as' as I use
>that as a variable name
>
>2) didn't need to add new keywords - adding them should be done only if
>using punctuation is completely unappealing
>
>3) using '=' and ':' is visually more distinct than embedded keywords.

Walter, just want to voice my thanks also: thanks for listening in regards to
the imports issues.  It really seems you put some work into implementing a
balanced solution that meets different peoples needs.

It's a real challenge to convince you, and it seems we still have to find out
where you are most vulnerable to being convinced ;) (C++ angle mostly, it seems,
unfortunately; and, no I don't believe you are convinced by good solid evidence:
you are quite biased in your opinions).

Nonetheless, thanks for going the distance despite the upheaval that took place.
What you do is not unnoticed!  Those of us working hard to make D stand out in
this world really want to see D at it's best.

-JJR