DMD 0.163 release

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Tue Jul 18 21:25:02 PDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:13:37 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>
> This has all the new import changes in it. That breaks a lot of existing
> code (like dmdscript), the fixes are simple (adding more import
> declarations) but tedious.

Thanks Walter.

v0.163 compiled Build and all its modules without having to change a single
line of code. None of my code was broken with this release.

However, I will need to upgrade Build to cater for the new module renaming
syntax ASAP.

> I couldn't find a better keyword choice than "static import".

Given that the form "static import XXX" and "import XXX = whatever" both
require XXX to be used when referencing members, the 'static' import is
only required when one is not renaming the module, eg.   "import io =
std.stdio;" and "static import io = std.stdio;" are identical, I sort of
liked the idea that dropped the need for 'static' and if one wanted to
force FQN using the normal module name, one could have written "import
std.stdio = std.stdio;".

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)