DMD 0.163 release

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Wed Jul 19 00:12:52 PDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:36:03 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> Given that the form "static import XXX" and "import XXX = whatever" both
>> require XXX to be used when referencing members, the 'static' import is
>> only required when one is not renaming the module, eg.   "import io =
>> std.stdio;" and "static import io = std.stdio;" are identical, I sort of
>> liked the idea that dropped the need for 'static' and if one wanted to
>> force FQN using the normal module name, one could have written "import
>> std.stdio = std.stdio;".
>
> I thought of that too, but it would be a weird special case, as having:
>
> 	import foo.bar = std.stdio;
>
> would be quite bizarre.

Hmmm... what about ... the situation where I use FQN with a utility module
of some sort, but later I want to try out something different that might
not make the cut. Instead of relocating files or adding mountains of
version statements or recoding to use renamed modules, I could've done ...

  version(SuperTest)   import util.string = debug.string;
  else                 import util.string;
  . . .
  util.string.somefunc();
  . . .
  util.string.anotherfunc();