D has moved up to number 18!

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Mon Jun 5 20:14:29 PDT 2006

In article <e62qqh$1h7j$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...

>"Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>news:e62iae$13et$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
>
>That's some serious wootage.

W00t.  We edged out Ruby.  Very nice.

>Though what's with ColdFusion moving up to 20?  Wasn't that some kind of
>side-of-the-road web language in the late 90s?  Or has it had some kind of
>revival?

I can personally attest to ColdFusions merits and flaws as I use it on a daily
basis - its not pretty, but it does put food on the table.  AFAIK, its widely
used on government contracts thanks to the forward-thinking individuals that put
web applications in place there back in the early 90's - then it was the only
game in town next to perl CGI and a very early rendition ASP.

It was revitalized when Macromedia acquired Aleris and basically saved the
language from itself by reworking it as a J2EE web language (same niche as JSP).
The Java backend has done a lot for enabling interop with superior tools and
libraries (all Java), as well as making server admins much happier.  You can
even compile CF apps down to .war files for deployment, or mix and match with
jsp and vanilla Java code - so its like an alternate to the .NET stack for web
applications.

As far as revivals are concerned, you might be right. Macromedia had quite the
corporate blogroll and press for this product, and it looks like Adobe is
continuing the tradition and live documentation.  CFMX7 just  came out, so maybe
its here to stay for a while longer. :-/

- EricAnderton at yahoo