D has moved up to number 18!

Dejan Lekic dejan at nu6.org
Thu Jun 8 03:07:04 PDT 2006

I have expected that to happen. I would not be surprised if D comes to
top5 languages on TIOBE's TPCI list by the end of this year, and become
#1 by the end of next year.

As an experienced C/C++ developer (12+ years of commercial experience) i
can only say that D will become language of choice whenever I am the one
who decides what language to chose. I have very good reasons to do so.

1) Perfect scope() solution. Seriously, scope() keyword is IMHO one of
the best new things i have seen so far - it shortens the code a lot, and
puts necessary code where it belongs.

2) Amazing template support with solved syntax ambiguities.

3) Delegates.

4) Real modules. Packages and interfaces.

5) super keyword

6) array slicing

7) utf8 support

... and many more.

The only thing i really miss is better thread support. I have already
proposed changes (about lock() keyword, and better thread
synchronisation tuning), but you Mr. Bright did not respond. :) Some
other guys did and they did like what i proposed.

*I have no words to express my apriciation for what you have done so
far, and gave us all that for free.

Thank you Walter!*

Kind regards to you and whole D community.

Dejan Lekic