Announce: Enki 1.0

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Thu Jun 8 12:12:06 PDT 2006

In article <e69n3h$dmo$3 at digitaldaemon.com>, BCS says...

>I tried it, but the generated code wont compile because it lacks some
>imports, I poked around a bit but didn't find everything I needed. This
>should be high on the documentation list. Also a few short examples of
>it in use would be nice.

BCS, thank you for looking into Enki.  I'm open to any additional feedback you
may have on the tool as I'm always looking for ways to improve it. :)

I will compose some tutorials and examples for the next (1.1) release, which
should be ready soon.  Documenting the various directives is also a priority, as
those are needed to tell the code generator what the base-class of the parser is
and more.

All of the imports that a generated parser needs should be in the enki SDK
distribution - my apologies for not including that with the binary.

>pragma wrote:
>[...]
>>
>> Enki is a frontend parser generator that uses an annotated EBNF syntax to
>> produce .d sourcefiles.  More details can be found at the link above.  Without
>> getting too deep into specifics, it adheres to the following philosophy:
>>
>> - Self-hosting
>> - Generates readable, parser frontend code only
>> - Provides a basic (and replaceable) text parser backend for quick use
>
>Can the parser be used to parse an array of struct or the like?
>
>> - Avoids the reinvention of its host language: D.
>> - Relies on user supplied D code as directly as possible, where it is strongest
>> - Generate D code where possible, where D is at its worst and most verbose
>> - Support the majority of use cases with the minimal amount of tweaking
>>
>[...]
>> - EricAnderton at yahoo

- EricAnderton at yahoo