New DMD site layout

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Wed Jun 14 16:50:48 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:e6ke0t$30ub$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>> I don't like on-mouse-over highlighting of any kind for functional
>> websites (pointless eyecandy?)
>
> On the contrary, feedback like that often improves the experience for
> graphical interfaces.  It's not "pointless eyecandy," it's letting you know
> what you can interact with by showing it in an interactive way.  We get the
> same kind of feedback from things like keyboard keys; they kind of wiggle if
> you put your finger on them, and they make a nice "click" and have a good
> springiness when pushed.  Feedback is an important part of graphical
> interface design as well.

The thing that "let's you know what you can interact with" is called the
hyperlink text underline, a standard issue of HTML, and is a better
feedback.

>> Also, the highlighted area doesn't even seem to be well centered (or
>> framed) around it's respective text.
>
> Not sure what you mean.  Maybe it's a browser display issue?

No it's not a browser display issue. Hum, I didn't explain myself too
clearly. The left side of the highlighted area starts just about where
the text starts, which doesn't look good, In My UI Opinion. To see what
I think should look better, see the page with the attached style.css
(tested for IE and Firefox).

>> And there are "empty link spaces" between (all) menu entries, that is,
>> areas where there is no hyperlink/menu-selection (I've found that that
>> bothers me
>
> The alternative is cramming all the links together, which looks awful.

No it doesn't (look awful).
Even if it did, it didn't matter for the point. I'm not asking that the
links have little vertical interval, I just want the vertical interval
to be all or mostly "link" space, that is, with no blank, non-link spaces.

>> Plus, I don't like the "button" look of the "Home | Downloads | Search | D
>> | Comments" header, as the buttons look ugly.
>
> They do look a bit ugly.

Indeed.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student