DMD 0.161 release

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 20 11:12:41 PDT 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Mostly bug fixes.
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>
> "Shadowing local variable declarations is now deprecated."
>
> I thought it had always been illegal by the spec.

It wasn't implemented.

> "Folded in D.bugs/7509"
>
> You seem to have slipped up here:
>
> "What's needed is an error handling philosophy and methodology such that:
> [...]
>     * 'Quick and dirty' utilities to be written that still correctly
> handle errors."
>
> s/to/can

Thanks, I'll fix.

> "Fixed Bugzilla 57  in 0.151"
>
> Why is this in the changelog for 0.161?

It was overlooked.

> "Fixed Bugzilla 36  (better error message)"
> "Fixed Bugzilla 85  (now issues error message)"
>
> And they're also marked as fixed in Bugzilla.  However, at the moment I
> can't seem to find the bit of the spec that indicates that either is
> illegal code.

36: forward references are an ongoing issue, I'd like to get rid of all
such errors. But in the meantime, having feet of clay, some will give
error messages instead.

85: It can't be made to work, because an interface handle is different
from a class handle. It doesn't work in C++, either, for the same reasons.