DMD 0.161 release

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 21 10:20:34 PDT 2006

xs0 wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> 85: It can't be made to work, because an interface handle is different
>> from a class handle. It doesn't work in C++, either, for the same
>> reasons.
>
> But it can be made to work, because an interface handle could be the
> same as a class handle. It works that way in Java, and is _far_ more
> useful, even if performance of method calls is reduced slightly.
>
> But we talked about that already, and I don't suppose you'll change your
> mind this time..

Java makes it "work" by doing runtime manipulation of interface/class
handles whenever they are used. This is too inefficient for a native
compiled language.

Consider this:

   int can be implicitly converted to long.
   Therefore, shouldn't int[] be usable as a long[]?

It's an exactly analogous situation.