DMD 0.161 release

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 09:11:07 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Mostly bug fixes.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>>
>> "Shadowing local variable declarations is now deprecated."
>>
>> I thought it had always been illegal by the spec.
>
> It wasn't implemented.

So you've implemented it as a deprecation for the time being, rather
than banning it altogether?

<snip>
>> "Fixed Bugzilla 57  in 0.151"
>>
>> Why is this in the changelog for 0.161?
>
> It was overlooked.

What do you mean?  The changelog for 0.151 also lists this bug as fixed.

>> "Fixed Bugzilla 36  (better error message)"
>> "Fixed Bugzilla 85  (now issues error message)"
>>
>> And they're also marked as fixed in Bugzilla.  However, at the moment
>> I can't seem to find the bit of the spec that indicates that either is
>> illegal code.
>
> 36: forward references are an ongoing issue, I'd like to get rid of all
> such errors. But in the meantime, having feet of clay, some will give
> error messages instead.

Nobody else I know would claim that changing the error message resulting
from a bug constitutes fixing the bug.

If the bug _is_ the bad error message, rather than the fact that an
error is produced at all, then that's another matter.

> 85: It can't be made to work, because an interface handle is different
> from a class handle.

But it can be made to create a new array of the interface type.  But
this should probably require an explicit cast.

Just looking at the documentation, the "Implicit Conversions" section of
arrays.html mentions "U[] where U is a base class of T" - I now suppose
it's just a temptation to think that it would work on interfaces as
well.  Clarification would certainly be welcome.

And we could also do with some decent documentation on what arrays may
be converted to by explicit casting.

> It doesn't work in C++, either, for the same reasons.

Since when has C++ had interfaces?

Stewart.