D DBI has been revived

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 19:04:26 PDT 2006

James Pelcis wrote:
> Hello Everyone.
>
> A bit over a year ago, Jeremy Cowgar started this project. While he did
> an excellent job, he hasn’t been heard from in over a year. I started
> working on this project in April and I hope to do as well as Jeremy did,
> but be here to stay.
>
> D DBI has also been updated today to version 0.2.0. The information is
> available on the changelog at
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddbi/wiki/ChangeLog. The API was
> slightly changed, so be sure to take a look at it.
>
> Brad has informed me that he is working on FreeTDS, which should give us
> MSSQL and Sybase support. I have also been working on interfacing D DBI
> to several other databases. The three that I currently have under
> development are InterBase, mSQL, and Oracle. Which of those do you think
> should be my highest priority?
>
> With luck and a little work, hopefully D DBI can become as well known as
> the Perl DBI library.
>

> James Pelcis
I don't know the Perl DBI libraries, but one of the problems
I have with Python's database libraries is that they keys
are always coerced into being strings...which does foul
things to their sort, if they are integers, say, and also
means that you are frequently doing things like converting
keys back and forth  (I'd occasionally like to save a record
by epochal time...possibly extended to 64 bits, that would
allow me to record events as accurately as the system clock
will report until the end of the universe, but not if I have
to do it as a string.  In that case I need to figure a 7-bit
character code (minus the control characters unless I like
asking for trouble) packing of the data.  Ugh!

(Just thought I'd mention while you are still designing the
thing.)