Bools reloaded

Ivan Senji ivan.senji_REMOVE_ at _THIS__gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 11:39:06 PST 2006

Oskar Linde wrote:
> Ivan Senji wrote:
>
>> Don Clugston wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, that's still not clear.
>>> Bruno is right, terms like "pure bools" or "purist bools" are vague,
>>> you can't expect everyone to know what you mean.
>>>
>>> For example: do you want "&" to be legal for bool types, or just "&&"?
>>

>> Just &&.
>

> Why? Ever heard of boolean algebra?

Ever heard of logic operators && and ||? That is what they are for.

> Why should &,|,^,~ not be defined
> and allowed for bool? It would be problematic and inconsistent not
> having non-short-circuit operators for booleans.

I learned from xs0's reply that Java uses &,| for non-short-circuit
evaluation when arguments are of type bool. As D doesn't have a bool in
the Java meaning I don't think making & anything but bitwise operator
makes sense.

>>> (they mean very different things for integers). "&" normally means
>>> "bitwise and", but a pure bool doesn't have any bits.
>>> Is it legal to cast from a bool to some other type?
>>

>> I'm not against casting but implicit conversions are bad.
>

> Do you mean that all implicit conversions are bad? Are the integer
> promotion rules bad?

Ofcourse not. But with bools yes.

Do you think:
bool b = 5; would be a good thing?