DMD 0.149 release

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Tue Mar 7 17:30:13 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Changed on_scope keywords per the general consensus of the n.g.
>
> The implicit function template instantiation is a bit limited at the moment,
> deduction won't work for types derived from templates, and the mechanism to
> pick the most specialized template doesn't work.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html

Great stuff, Walter.
I hope you get 1.0 out before Google or IBM gets to you!

The scope stuff is very, very cool.

However, let me be a lone dissenter against the new if( auto = ) stuff.
My issue with it is what it may do to developers taking a peek at D.

C-Junkie: "Well there is my old reliable if statement...wait a
minute...whats all this then?  This language is too weird, I am going
back to my comfortable (language-X)."

This is yet another corner case bound to look small to experienced users
but may shy away others from the language.

Again I vote for:

with( expression ) { ... } else { ... }

if expression is null then the else block is executed.

Of course, just my humble opinion.
-DavidM