No more lessequal software

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Mon Mar 13 10:07:02 PST 2006

I read that you consider programming an addiction. I struggled with this
idea when I was a teenager, so perhaps I can relate somewhat.  I also gave
up programming for long periods of time.  In retrospect, I believe that this
was not the right thing to do.  Programming addiction is not like addiction
to alcohol or drugs.  Substance abuse like that is never productive or
helpful.

There are some behaviors that are necessary and yet tend to be addictive,
because of the pleasure involved.  Like for example eating and sex.  These
behaviors are very pleasurable, but for a good reason.  If these pleasurable
urges  were not in place, we would probably not be here today.  People that
don't eat, die.  Creatures that don't procreate become extinct.

However, overeating and sexual addiction are not productive.  But that does
not mean we should stop eating or stop having sex if we find ourselves
"addicted".

The most ideal and perhaps most difficult path to take is the path of
moderation.  We must find the balance in our lives that achieves the
greatest level of happiness and productivity for ourselves, those in our
sphere of influence, and our posterity.

The capacity to program is a gift, not a disease.  I hope my words do not
fall on deaf ears.  Bobef, we all appreciate your contributions to computer
science.  Please do not give up.

-Craig