std.date proposal

Fredrik Olsson peylow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 10:36:43 PST 2006

Stewart Gordon skrev:
> Fredrik Olsson wrote:
>
>> I have created a proposal for a std.date replacement. And announce it
>> here in hopes of some comments and criticism.
>
> <snip>
>
> Preliminary comments:
>
> 1. It's "millennuim" (singular), "millennia" (plural).  Two 'n's.  Not
> "millenia".  And why no CENTURY?

Check, corrected. And century added wherever proper. Added Julian day
when I was at it.

> 2. What is UDT?

That would be a misspelled UTC, shamefully corrected now.

> 3. I think you should leave out the "3/10/06" format because of the
> inherent ambiguity.  And in English, the third month is called March,
> not mars.

Spelling corrected, I bet there is more, way more...
"M/D/Y" will stay I think, it is the US way, ambiguous or not, and there
is allot of code/people out there making this assumption. If I could
choose myself we would all go ISO :).
Perhaps a mode flag should be added, to prefer YMD, DMY or MDY whenever
an ambiguity exists?

> 4. How does your module deal with time zones?

Pretty much as SQL99 does, that is you choose with or without time zone
when time is created. Time zones are parsed, but currently ignored. I
think the best option is to let the user simply choose if dates should
be adjusted to UTC or to local when parsed.

> 5. I've also written an alternative to std.date.  Please check it out:

I like it, looks neat and clean, and in no way competing I think. On the
contrary I would like yours to grow and complement, as I see it a OOP
Date/Time library on top of mine would be the best solution. Sort of
like how std.stdio should work as the under layer for a more feature
complete module on top.

I intend to do the bare bones, a solid foundation to build on top, and
to be easy to do small stuff. Intervals, timezones, and more advanced
stuff should be done with wrappers on top.