std.date proposal

John C johnch_atms at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:49:16 PST 2006

> "M/D/Y" will stay I think, it is the US way, ambiguous or not, and there
> is allot of code/people out there making this assumption. If I could
> choose myself we would all go ISO :).

Who are these people expecting dates to appear in US format, I wonder?

A date library that has no notion of locales has no business making any
region-specific assumptions and should just implement ISO8601. After all,
that's what it's for.

If you must support a common date format, it should be D/M/Y, which is used
by the vast majority of countries and accepted internationally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date