new domain: d-programming-language.org

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Mon May 8 22:42:48 PDT 2006

Chris Miller wrote:
> Sorry about that unfriendly post. I'll try to explain better.
>
> Google and yahoo search both treat domains with '-' less because they're
> most likely spam domains. '-' does pretty much no good, and is harder to
> tell people the site vocally due to having to explain the dashes, and
> makes it overall sound less appealing.
> Notice that when you google for `d programming` it bolds the whole,
> non-'.com' part of dprogramming.com because it does do substring
> searches on domains.
>
> The other issue is that it's just too long, even without the dashes. I
> wouldn't be surprised if search engines give lower priority to domains
> that long as well.
>
> digitalmars.com and dprogramming.com are fairly long, but they don't
> exactly go over that "too far" limit like d-programming-language.org does.
>
> My suggestion is to get dlanguage.org, and also get dlanguage.com to
> redirect to dlanguage.org.
> There are different reasons for also getting the .com version: many
> people try .com first; domain squatters watch for .org registrations and
> hurry up and grab the .com counterparts for spam sometimes; and .com
> hasn't completely meant 'commercial' for years now, some users even
> don't know it or assume it means 'computer'.
>
> - Chris

I am of the same mind with the previous posters. I am extremely excited
however with the direction you are going, Walter. Perhaps if the domain
hasn't been registered yet, we can discuss this further. If not, I'm
still very excited with this decision.

--
Kyle Furlong // Physics Undergrad, UCSB

"D is going wherever the D community wants it to go." - Walter Bright