new domain: d-programming-language.org

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon May 8 22:58:12 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:
> In article <e3osei$g90$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>> I've just registered it, so it can be the 'official' D site.
>>

> In my opinion, typeability is as or more important than googleability.
> d-programming-language.org is difficult to type (both because of the length and
> because of the dashes)

Which is why I agonized over this for quite a while. But the usage
statistics from the web log show that the overwhelming amount of traffic
comes to the digitalmars site via clicking on links, usually from
google. Heck, even I click to get to digitalmars.com rather than typing
it in!

> Plus, google parses -'s as a word separator, so "d-programming-language" would
> match "d-programming langugae", "d programming-language", "d programming
> language", "D) Programming languages", etc,

Yes, and most importantly, it will match "d programming language" which
is what we should be building brand around, and that match will place
high (if not first) in the search results for that phrase.

> and more importantly,
> d-programming-language (no quotes) would match , "a b c d e f g ... programming
> is the act of writing data in a language suitable for a computer to interpret"

It'd probably be down in the results for that.