new domain: d-programming-language.org

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Tue May 9 07:01:15 PDT 2006

In article <e3osei$g90$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

>I've just registered it, so it can be the 'official' D site.
>
>1) Why so long?
>
>Because "D" is un-googlable, there needs to be a reasonably unique,
>recognizable phrase for it. Nothing works as well as "d programming
>language". There's no ambiguity about what it's about. Besides, most
>people will get to the web site via a click, rather than typing it in.
>

>2) Why the embedded '-'?
>
>In my experiments, google doesn't separate dprogramminglanguage into 3
>words. But it will if there are embedded '-'s.
>

>3) Why 'org' instead of 'com'?
>
>Because the D language itself is not a company, nor is it a proprietary
>language. Hence, 'org' is the most appropriate for it.
>

>4) When will it go live?
>
>It'll take a couple days at least.

Not a bad idea.  I gather this will be an alias for digitalmars.com/d?

Personally, I don't think this will be a problem because:

1) Like you say, its imminently searchable.
2) Most browsers feature auto-complete for url's so clicking the location and
hitting 'www.d' on the keyboard will most likely complete the whole mess.
3) It'll encourage bookmarking (a good thing).

Barring cache wipes, I almost never type the entire URL for anything more than
once.  Anything else that I, or my browser, forget about I just google instead.
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in having use habits like these. ;)

- EricAnderton at yahoo