Promoting D projects (or internet marketing 101)

Tom tom at nospam.com
Wed Nov 1 06:58:16 PST 2006

== Quote from Bill Baxter (dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com)'s article
> Tom wrote:
> > Another thing I would improve (as a kind of marketing strategy) is the
> > aesthetics of digitalmars.com. It's very useful but very very very ugly
> > (sorry, just my honest opinion). I see it in almost every thing that has
> > a lot of success.
> Or maybe its that projects that have lots of success decide it's worth
> the effort to improve their websites.  I don't think you can say there's
> any causal relationship between the website and the success of the
> programming language.  Python's old site was pretty ugly and amateurish
> for a good long time -- until well after Python was a success.

I can't say that that's *always* the case, but I can assure you that it helps _a
lot_. I mean, don't you restrict just to programming languages, look around and
you'll see companies spending a lot of cash in nice publicity, beautiful web
pages, and not in vain! Is a fact that a good looking webpage (in this case) is
better for marketing that a non-good-looking one, don't you think?.

> Having nice images, with all kind of colors and stuff
> > sells to the sight.
> Good web design != all kinds of colors and stuff :-)

Yeah right, please don't take it so literally :-)

> People get attracted to lights and mirrors every
> > time. I know that this isn't a trivial task, but it could certainly be
> > done.
> I think the (newly redone) Python site is very professional looking:
> www.python.org
> Ruby's site looks good too:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
> PHP is ok, but a little cluttered looking:
> http://www.php.net/
> Nemerle is a wiki, but it looks pretty nice:
> http://nemerle.org/Main_Page

There you have some that are good examples of nice designs.

> [snip]
> That said I like the curent D site.

I couldn't disagree more, but what can we do? It's just a matter of taste after all.

Regards,
--
Tom;