Promoting D projects (or internet marketing 101)

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 1 09:35:25 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:

> Now let's have the discussion we should have been having :-) -- why is
> there a poorly drawn cartoon 'D' apparently cheering for himself on the
> overview page?  It makes no sense.  At best it looks like he's trying to
> say "I'm D and I think I'm awesome" like some hot shot 4 year old on a
> playground full of 3 year olds.
>
> It's cute, but it would make much more sense on the "How To Promote D"
> page or a "D Success Stories" page than on the public introduction,
> which will be read by a bunch of people who are probably skeptical about
> D to begin with.

Ok, but a lot of people have done alternative images but none of them
have had that catchy feeling of 'rightness' to them.

A story: back when the US Air Force was splitting itself off to be
independent from the US Army, they had a contest to find the AF theme
song. They duly had the contest, and duly picked and announced a winner.
Then, they ran across the song that starts "up we go, into the wild blue
yonder".

That was instantly it. The new song was just so *right* that the
previous winner (now long forgotten) was ditched, the contest
repudiated, and the new song anointed. Nobody objected.