Promoting D projects (or internet marketing 101)

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 10:10:51 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Ok, but a lot of people have done alternative images but none of them
> have had that catchy feeling of 'rightness' to them.
>
> A story: back when the US Air Force was splitting itself off to be
> independent from the US Army, they had a contest to find the AF theme
> song. They duly had the contest, and duly picked and announced a winner.
> Then, they ran across the song that starts "up we go, into the wild blue
> yonder".
>
> That was instantly it. The new song was just so *right* that the
> previous winner (now long forgotten) was ditched, the contest
> repudiated, and the new song anointed. Nobody objected.

Very amusing story!  The only moral I can seem to get out of it though
is that the D man shouldn't be anointed as the "winner" before Mr. "so
right" shows up.

Is an image really even required on the intro page?

He looks to me like he's either cheering someone on or just won a race.
So I do think he's perfect for any page about how to promote D, or about
D success stories.

In a picture for the introduction to D, if Mr. D is to be there, he
should be doing something like bowing a hearty welcome, with top-hat
clutched to his chest and a black cane in the other hand, outstretched
to the side.  Something that says "Greetings, we humbly welcome you to
our abode."  Rather than "woo woo we're so awesome!"

--bb