D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Nov 10 07:39:12 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Can you clarify for the rest of us what you consider this milestone
>> meaning / containing?  What changes at that point in time?  What do
>> you consider finished, frozen, whatever?
>>
>> This has come up each time a 1.0 point has been suggested, with lots
>> of potential things to fall into the bucket, but I don't recall ever
>> seeing your point of view.
>>
>> I'm purposely not including my thoughts or any of the past thoughts
>> from other people since I'm seeking a fairly complete response from
>> you rather than a short agreement sort of answer.
>
> Feature complete is one of those mirage things, the list of what needs
> to be added to D is never ending and ever changing. So my intention is
> to straighten out what we've got now as best I can, call it 1.0, and we
> can all move on doing continuous improvement.

One aspect of a 1.0 release is how to handle deprecation of current
features.  Perhaps any outstanding "to do" items that may affect
existing functionality could be addressed, at least in the spec, before
Jan 1st?  The only feature I can think of offhand is the double-meaning
of "auto" vs. the "MyClass c = MyClass()" syntax you mentioned a while
back, but there may be others.

Sean