D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Nov 10 10:20:30 PST 2006

BLS wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund schrieb:
>
>> Björn, I might sound pessimistic, but this how how D/DMD always has been,
>> and Walter has yet to say how this will change to accomodate the fact
>> that we will have a stable release.
>>

> I still have to call myself a D newbie and so my opinion is probabely
> not much worth.  I guess you'll agree that there are allready a lot of
> goodies implemented in D. So that a nowadays written library will/could
> survive a few years.
>
> I would like to mention here the gnu classpath lib. (0.92) which uses
> the Java 1.2 language features and is (again IMO) pretty stableand
> usefull It also seems that the classpath guys are able to find a way to
> upgrade classpath to generics without "too" much pain.
>
> Kind regards Björn

Yes, but there Java 1.2 is a stable specification. What I am trying to say,
is that D 1.0 needs to be set enough in stone, so that the document/webpage
on it don't change on the first new release of DMD. I personally don't
think "Just use the compiler tagged 1.0, and you have a stable
environment." is good enough, because we _will_ want bugfixes, and we
_will_ want to use new (or test) features when they appear (or when they
have proved themselves), without ruining the application we spent hours and
hours on to get working with D 1.0.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net