D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Nov 10 15:01:43 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> We'll release it one way or another Jan 1. And then we'll move on!

Good! I guess.

But come March and I see D 1.23 released, then we've wasted the
milestone. It's the "move on" that worries me. I think we should stop
for a while, look at what we've done, and let the surroundings and infra
adjust and sprout.

We should stop this target, so that serious critics from the world at
large can aim and shoot at us. We really need that. And the publicity
with it.

"Optimizing" our web presence is of course good, but we really need some
exposure in printed media. There still are folks who are very important
to our success, but who aren't full-time surfers and news readers. We
need to get recognized amongst them.

And please: libraries and packages! Downloading D should feel like
inserting a shrink-wrapped CD -- it just works. And the documentation is
there, the libraries work off the bat, and installation is a snap -- on
all three platforms.

We have 3.5 weeks to do this. (2.5 weeks of this month plus 1 week.
Remember, December counts as one single week, when you look at it in
hindsight. Happens every year.)

Oh, and do we have CUJ, DrDobb's, InfoWorld, etc. covered?? Can I see
Walter interviewed in each in the January Issue?