D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Carlos Santander csantander619 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 15:51:21 PST 2006

Lars Ivar Igesund escribió:
> BLS wrote:
>
>> Lars Ivar Igesund schrieb:
>>
>>> Björn, I might sound pessimistic, but this how how D/DMD always has been,
>>> and Walter has yet to say how this will change to accomodate the fact
>>> that we will have a stable release.
>>>
>> I still have to call myself a D newbie and so my opinion is probabely
>> not much worth.  I guess you'll agree that there are allready a lot of
>> goodies implemented in D. So that a nowadays written library will/could
>> survive a few years.
>>
>> I would like to mention here the gnu classpath lib. (0.92) which uses
>> the Java 1.2 language features and is (again IMO) pretty stableand
>> usefull It also seems that the classpath guys are able to find a way to
>> upgrade classpath to generics without "too" much pain.
>>
>> Kind regards Björn
>
> Yes, but there Java 1.2 is a stable specification. What I am trying to say,
> is that D 1.0 needs to be set enough in stone, so that the document/webpage
> on it don't change on the first new release of DMD. I personally don't
> think "Just use the compiler tagged 1.0, and you have a stable
> environment." is good enough, because we _will_ want bugfixes, and we
> _will_ want to use new (or test) features when they appear (or when they
> have proved themselves), without ruining the application we spent hours and
> hours on to get working with D 1.0.

I might be misunderstanding you, but here's what I get: starting in January, the
DigitalMars site gets an addition section entitled "The D 1.0 Spec" or something
like that, which won't ever change. Further changes to DMD or new D versions
have to be done in a different section/document. If this is what you're
proposing, I strongly agree.

--
Carlos Santander Bernal