Announcing Luigi -- WIP teaser

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:46:43 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
(...)
> Yeh, I understand that the XML thing is probably useful for non-coders
> creating GUIs, but I'm more interested in having something that makes it
> as easy as possible to create GUIs through code.  Preferably 1-line per
> widget in most cases.  For instance this is the kind of API I'm going for:
>
> Panel westGroup =
> gui.add_widget!(GridPanel)(2,0,Gaps(2)).arrangement(Region.West);
>
> Says, add a new GridPanel constructed with args (2,0,Gaps(2)) and set it
> to be arranged with 'Region.West' flags.
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't currently work because of limitations with
> IFTI and variadic templates, but the idea is one line of code whenever
> possible.

Cool, I'm looking forward to checking it out once dsource is back
online. I think XML has more benefits, such as using it with a visual
designer and being able to modify the GUI without recompiling (modding
comes to mind).

>(...)
> Anyway, I'm going for the level of functionality where it's easy to take
> an existing OpenGL program and slap a few basic gui controls on it with
> a minimal amount of code.  I'm not going for a full-fledged wxWidgets
> replacement or anything.  In particular I'm not planning to have a very
> complicated event dispatch mechanism.   For instance in wxWidgets some
> types of events first search for handlers in a widget's most derived
> subclas, then all its base classes, then the parent container, and all
> its base classes, then the grandparent, and all it's base classes, etc,
> until the event gets to the top level window, and then I think maybe it
> gets sent to the App subclass finally.
>
> Currently what I'm doing is dispatching events to the widget, period. If
> you want something fancy besides that to happen then you'll have to do
> it yourself.
>
> --bb

That is good to hear, there is no gui like this for D yet, even in c /
c++ there are but a few easy to slap in gui toolkits, mostly still too
bloated imho.

Besides GLFW, are there more dependencies?