DMD 0.174 release

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 18:43:52 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Much improved tuple support.
>
> New 'scope' attribute for RAII objects. 'auto' still works the same, but
> will not for much longer. Use 'auto' for type inference.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.174.zip

"Improved the statement grammar thanks to Stewart Gordon."

Good work on the whole.  However, I'm puzzled by a few issues:

1. At first sight it appears to bear little resemblance to my rewrite.
OK, so it implements the distinction between things that introduce a new
scope and things that don't, and on closer examination you've taken into
account some of the other issues I've raised.  But what's happened to
the issue of where a DeclarationStatement or ScopeGuardStatement (fka
ScopeStatement) should be legal?

Moving DeclarationStatement and ScopeGuardStatement from
NonEmptyStatement into Statement, NoScopeNonEmptyStatement and
NoScopeStatement would achieve the same as my version in this respect.

2. You haven't done the necessary updates to

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/version.html

3. You've added

     ;

as a Statement form.  You still haven't told us what the language gains
by having it.  OK, so having it in NoScopeStatement simplifies
specifying PragmaStatement and LabeledStatement, which are the only
things that use it, but in Statement it appears to serve no purpose.

4. Why do ForStatement and ForeachStatement now take a
NoScopeNonEmptyStatement as body, rather than a ScopeStatement?

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.