DMD 0.174 release

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 22:41:23 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Much improved tuple support.
>
> New 'scope' attribute for RAII objects. 'auto' still works the same, but
> will not for much longer. Use 'auto' for type inference.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.174.zip

Awesome!

I'm really glad you decided to use a seperate keywords for RAII storage
and permitting type inference.  You also had a different idea of how it
should be done, but listened to the community and apparently decided
otherwise.  You're the man Walter!

The other things in the patch look really cool too (syntax cleanup...
and I'm eyeballing that .funcptr).

Just one little inconsistancy I noticed when running the new compiler:

void main()
{
	Foo bar = new Foo();
}

scope class Foo
{
	int memberA;
}

Produces the following error message when compiled:
main.d(5): variable main.main.bar reference to auto class must be auto

... yet "auto" is no longer the canonical word for raii.

Thank you!