Article on Tuples

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Wed Nov 15 06:40:21 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/tuple.html

This does it! For the last 2 years I've been a bit uneasy about letting
a metalanguage "grow" on top of D, and in the back of my head I've
slowly gathered and assembled together parts needed for an ambitious
metalanguage for D.

But now I give up. Gotta admit, Walter, this is becoming simply Killer
Stuff! Wish I could buy you a beer for this!

Right now I feel an urge to run out on the street yelling You Aint Seen
Nothin Yet!!!

I feel like a tribesman who has been carrying this heavy crate through
an enormous forest with the others, gathering mushrooms and berries and
game to eventually bring home. And then there's this stone wall, and
after some searching we find a gate, and when we open it we are blinded
by the light of the endless fields ahead, virgin and rife with fruit
trees and bushes with berries.

To be the ones to have found these fields, we feel privileged, honored,
and somehow even indebted! Indebted to have respect for this bounty,
while still finding everything there with diligence and vigor, and
putting it all to the very best uses we can think of, so that we know we
can stay proud of what we've done.

Standing there, before all this, we literally feel that History is in
the Making, right here and right now. And we're in it! For the first
time for many of us, we know at once that this is the very time, of
which we'll be telling war stories to our children and grand children,
for the rest of our lives. While normally such is realized only decades
later, realizing it now makes us stand taller, prouder, and with extra
resolve for the hardships that inevitably will face us before we're
eventually home with the crate.