D Shared Software System version 0.3 released!

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Wed Nov 15 19:53:06 PST 2006

(Oh, the joys of a young project, releasing new versions ridiculously
often :) )

I have just released version 0.3 of DSSS, the D Shared Software System.
I've changed the mirror infrastructure to use HTTP instead of
Subversion, since plain HTTP provides a few advantages and Subversion's
advantages aren't really necessary.  You should be able to upgrade
without issues, it will transfer transparently.

I've also added a 'dsss net fetch' feature, which fetches sources from
the net infrastructure without building them.

I feel compelled to make this point clear: DSSS supports CPAN-like
features, but that is NOT the primary feature of DSSS.  DSSS is a system
for the building, installation, configuration and acquisition of D
software.  Please read the blurb on the home page :)

DSSS and more information on it are available from
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss .

At present, the following software is installable via DSSS:
bcd.gen
bintod
ddbi
derelict
dirclib
dool
dsss
dstring
duit
gdc-gcc-3.4
gdc-gcc-4.0
mango
wxd

To add your own software, configure it to use DSSS (technically you
don't have to, but it'd help ... ) then submit the information to me,
and I'll add it.  I'm in the process of developing a proper interface
for this, but it's not in place yet.

  - Gregor Richards

1) What is <your_favorite_prefix>?

It's your favorite prefix :).  Wherever you want to install DSSS.  /usr,
/opt/d, /home/foo/d_stuff, /tmp/howdee, wherever you want.

2) Is there anyway to have DSSS dump files to a disk and then have DSSS
on another system install the files from the disk?

DSSS is first and foremost a system for building D software, the net
infrastructure is NOT necessary for building software.

That being said, it does provide some convenience in receiving software,
so just for you I added a 'dsss net fetch' command, which will fetch but
not build the source.

Again, big letters: DSSS is first and foremost a system for building and
installing D software. The net feature is NOT its primary component. You
do NOT need to be on the Internet to use DSSS, you do NOT need to have
access to mirrors, etc.  The net infrastructure is merely a convenience.

Hope that makes everything clear :)