D Conference 2007

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 16 19:19:08 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> It would be either in the spring (March) or early summer (June). It
>> would be in Seattle, Washington or Astoria, Oregon. Both places are
>> prime vacation spots.
>
> As a European, I've seen vacation spots, so Astoria doesn't sound too
> exotic.

Astoria is near Cannon Beach, which boasts probably the most scenic
coastline in the US. The Oregon coasts near Astoria have some incredible
beaches, further south highway 101 is famous for being scenic.

http://www.astoria-usa.com/
http://www.cannonbeach.org/

> But Seattle! The home of Frasier the shrink,

Filmed in Los Angeles. The movie "Sleepless in Seattle" was actually
filmed in Seattle. "Goonies" and "Kindergarten Cop" were filmed in
Astoria. Neither show much of the town.

> the Space Needle,

That is not to be missed.

> Boeing,

Boeing has nice factory tours open to the public. The Boeing Flight
Museum has amassed an incredible collection, it's not to be missed if
you have the slightest interest in aviation. They even have an SR-71 and
a Concorde! If the weather's good, you can even hitch a ride on a
biplane there.

http://www.museumofflight.org/

> and Microsoft.

You won't see anything there - it's just a bunch of office buildings
with rather tight security.