D Shared Software System version 0.3 released!

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 17:35:49 PST 2006

Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> Huh...? Really? Why? What do you(plural) mean with condescending and
>>> patronizing, what's the problem with those names?
>>
>> It's the "My" prefix.  Drives me crazy.  I don't know why, it just
>> seems condescending.
>
> I've always thought it was condescending and annoying, too. It's as if a
> person would be confused by "computer" or "pictures". ("Whose computer
> is this? Whose pictures are these?") And then the "my" helps. ("Oh,
> that's clearly *my* computer. And *my* pictures.")
>
> It's a few extra characters (and a troublesome space) that don't really
> any needed meaning. But I'm sure Microsoft is just trying to help me
> because I'm so stupid. ;)

I personally spend about three days every time I reinstall Windows to
make sure that "My Documents" becomes "Personal".  This worked fine
until Windows XP came along, which continuously REVERTS MY CHANGES!

I was not happy when I found this out.  It's "Personal" in most places,
but keeps showing up as "My Documents".  Tell me, MS, what point is
there in having this stuff in the registry if you're going to IGNORE IT?!

*huff* *huff*

Incidentally, I also make a point to store pictures in "Pictures", music
in "Music", etc.  I'm really beginning to hate programs that default to
the "blessed" locations instead of where I last close the dialog.

I tell ya; give me a flamethrower and the home addresses of the
programmers responsible for this, and I'll get it sorted! :P

	-- Daniel "My Middle Name" Keep

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.