D Shared Software System version 0.4 released!

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Sun Nov 19 16:45:43 PST 2006

BCS wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>> (And no, there shall be no name change)
>>
>> I have just released version 0.4 of DSSS. It includes several bugfixes:
>>
>>         - Fixed a bug causing DSSS not to download mirrors.list (which
>> was fairly docile since there are no working mirrors yet)
>>         - Modified to work properly on Mac OS X (hopefully)
>>         - Wrote simple install and use documents.
>>         - Added version output to the --help output.
>>         - dsss net list command implemented.
>>         - dsss net search command implemented.
>>         - dsss installed command implemented.
>>         - unix2dos is now used for all patches on Windows, due to a
>> bug (of sorts) in GNU patch on Windows.
>>
>> Notably:
>> 1) This should work on Mac OS X now.
>> 2) The net component should (I hope) work on Windows now (patch.exe is
>> a bit picky on Windows)
>> 3) You can now list all packages and search for packages installable
>> via the network.
>>
>> More info and downloads at http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss .
>>
>>  - Gregor Richards
>

> OK I must be stupid but I can seem to get dsss working.
>
> I have installed DSSS as instructed by dumping the win .zip file and
> adding it to my path.
>
> What I want to do is get something (I'm using mango to test things)
> downloaded. So I run this:
>
> dsss net install mango
>
> and get a single line of output
>
> Synchronizing...
>

> And I cant find anything that dsss has done. No new file, no mango
> anywhere (and no I don't already have mango) Nada. I'm doing something
> wrong and don't known what.
>
> Where should the files be showing up?
> What response should I be getting?
> Am I doing anything right?
>
> BTW
>
> DSSS 0.4 try2 on winXP
>

 >_O

This makes precisely zero sense.  I don't know of /any/ way that it can
produce no output after "Synchronizing..."

If the synchronizing fails, it produces an error.  If the synchronizing
succeeds, if nothing else it will at LEAST say that it's (trying to)
build what you specified.  There is no path after synchronization that
results in no output.

I should mention that it has actually been tested and shown to work on
Windows (by me) at this point, so this is something of a mystery.

Where should the files be showing up?

<DSSS prefix>/include/d/mango/..., <DSSS prefix>/lib/...

What response should I be getting?
Basically:

Synchronizing...

+ svn co http://blahblah/mango/trunk

Patching...
(Patch output)

Installing mango
<compile compile compile>

Am I doing anything right?

As far as I can tell, you're doing EVERYTHING right.  I'm flabbergasted.

  - Gregor Richards

PS: I'll look in to it, but I'm not sure what I'm looking in to ...