A new debugger for Linux - would it work for D?

Cristian Vlasceanu cristian at zero-bugs.com
Tue Nov 21 17:25:03 PST 2006

Pardon my ignorance, what is GDC? The GNU implementation of D?

If that is the case, then the answer is that it depends on which side the work
will be done, i.e. it might be the case that the compiler need be tweaked to
generate DWARF to help the debugger, not just for the debugger to be extended to
understand D.

The way the debugger works to date is to look up for stack unwinding info
(generated for C++ exception unwinding), and, if not found, it falls back to the
"classical" linked list of frames approach, using the instruction pointer, stack
pointer and frame register.

I must admit I have not tried interoperating Zero and D, I just wanted to see if
there is enough interest in the community to justify the work.

Cristian