D Shared Software System 0.8 released!

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Thu Nov 23 10:51:52 PST 2006

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz wrote:
> dpc at chesed:~$ dsss net install dsss-0.9
> [...]
> sss/main.d => dsss
> Command: cd dsss_build
> Command: make -f Makefile.unix
> + make -f Makefile.unix
> dmd -op -release -inline -version=BuildVerbose -ofdsss_build build.d
> util/pathex.d source_bn.d util/str.d build_bn.d util/booltype.d source.d
> util/fdt.d util/fileex.d util/linetoken.d util/macro.d util/file2.d
> gcc build.o util/pathex.o source_bn.o util/str.o build_bn.o util/booltype.o
> source.o util/fdt.o util/fileex.o util/linetoken.o util/macro.o
> util/file2.o -o dsss_build -m32 -lphobos -lpthread -lm
> + /home/dpc/d/bin/dsss_build -I/home/dpc/d/include/d -LIBPATH=/home/dpc/d/lib -LIBPATH=.  -od. -g -Idsss_build -LIBPATH=dsss_build
> sss/main.d -Tdsss
> net.o: In function `_D3sss3net3netFAAaZi':
> /tmp/DSSS_dsss-0.9/dsss-0.9/sss/net.d:56: undefined reference to
> `_D3sss4conf11inSourceDirx'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> dpc at chesed:~$ dsss
> DSSS version 0.7
> [...]
>
> I couldn't get dsss-0.8 or dsss-0.9 to compile manually neither.

This all comes down to a really annoying and as-of-yet unsolved problem
with bud: It prefers things in -I to things in the local directory. This
has been solved for everything other than DSSS itself, but DSSS has
magic bootstrap problems.

In the 'INSTALL' doc: "2) If you currently have DSSS installed,
UNINSTALL IT."

If you're switching from a binary install to a compiled install (in
which case using dsss uninstall won't work), you can either delete the
whole directory (and any net-installed packages with it), or:

bin/dsss.exe
include/d/sss
include/d/util
include/d/hcf
lib/libSDD-sss.lib
lib/libSbudutil.lib
lib/libSDD-hcf.lib

Getting this to work nicely is still an open problem being investigated.

Anyway, after uninstalling the old one, you should be able to use 'make'
to get a clean new one.

  - Gregor Richards

PS: 'dsss net install dsss' will probably never work on Windows, since
Windows doesn't allow you to write to an executable being run, and
dsss.exe is being run at the time :)