DMD 0.175 release [OT]

Kristian Kilpi kjkilpi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:36:19 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:22:11 +0200, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:10:33 -0800, Kristian Kilpi <kjkilpi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:54:42 +0200, John Reimer
>> <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> lol :D
>>>
>>> Well, actually it's been exceptionally cold this year.  This cold snap
>>> is quite early in the season for us.  Although every winter, we
>>> typically get some -30 C weather in Jan or Feb.
>>>
>>> -JJR
>>
>> -30'C is pretty cold indeed. :) For instance, bicycling in that
>> temperature is not so nice. (I used to bicycle to school when I was a
>> kid. -20'C was cold enough... ;) )
>>
>> By the way, if you don't mind asking, where do you live?
>

> British Columbia, Canada, in a region that we call the Cariboo Interior.
> I've been to Rovaniemi, Finland (not sure where you are).  It's not near
> as far north as that.

Nice mountain ranges there. The views must be great there (and the nature
in general). Probably a great place for hiking. :)

Rovaniemi is pretty north in Finland, I live 630 km to the south (Finland
is a quite small country; it's total length is 1160 km).

Of course Rovaniemi is in north overall also; its latitude is 66.5', right
on the Arctic Circle. Which plots, as we all know ;) , over northern Yokon
Territory. I live near the latitude of 61', which goes over the southern
Yokon or northern British Columbia.

I'm glad that the Gulf-stream warms the feather here in Finland
(especially in southern parts). Without it there would be much colder!

> Actually I run to work (between 5 to 7 km depending on which route I
> take), all year round.  Tonight I'll be running in this temperature...
> fun! (I do have a headlamp) :).

Good for you! (I think that's amazing and admirable!) 8)

I can imagine that a headlamp will be handy... :)
I don't run so much. Some bicycling in summer and cross-country skiing in
winter.

> It's actually not so bad, if you keep moving.
> I can't imagine bicycling to work in that temperature, though ....
> brrrr... windchill would make it much colder.

Yes, windchill indeed makes it cold. Your face and throat (and lower parts
of your ears) tend to freeze unless properly covered with a scarf. If you
don't have glasses, then your eyes will be freezing... not so comfortable.

I remember one time when I was late for school, and forgot my gloves. It
wasn't so cold (only something like -5 at most), so I didn't get them.
After 0.5 km or so, I have to stop and put my hands to my armpits to warm
them up. Oh, youth and stupidity. :)