DMD 0.175 release -- CO2

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:46:45 PST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:42:07 -0800, Carlos Santander
<csantander619 at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Reimer escribió:
>>   Why is CO2 a bad thing?  Don't plants use it for photosynthesis?
>> Wouldn't it make our planet a greener place?  Wouldn't it encourage
>> growth of trees and plants that industrialization destroys?
>>  Pollution seems to an important issue to deal with for health reasons
>> alone, but I don't know how increased CO2 is going to destroy us any
>> faster than disease, war, and bad health habits.
>>  -JJR
>
> I don't know for sure how everything affects everything else, but I
> think that even the slightest changes can alter the world in ways that
> can't really predict. And it won't only affect human beings, but also
> plants and animals. But everything is ultimately related, so I don't
> think it's that easy to just "more trees, great!" That's why I think we
> should try to disturb nature as few as possible, just because we don't
> know.

What constitutes a disturbance of nature?  What defines nature?  Is nature
something that excludes all human activity? Why?

Of course, nothing is so simple.  But if CO2 emmission is a central
problem of greenhouse gases (greenhouses are for growing things, remember
:) ), then the questions need to be answered, especially since all those
plants provide us with the O2 we breath.  But apparently nobody really
knows the answer because there are too many variables in the whole system
to take into account? Meanwhile, we do know that sunlight, water, heat,
and CO2 cause plants to grow readily.  More plants mean more water
containment as well. Animals eat plants for survival.  And humans use
animals and plants as further resources. It goes on.

In regard to global warming, the current predictions are of some sort of
cataclysmic eventuality that humans are generating as result of CO2
production; isn't it more likely that some cataclysmic event will occur
external to the system (solar or meteor related) than what's initiated by
man's apparent CO2 contribution? If nature is unpredictable, and we are
part of nature, what comparative portion of CO2 emissions do we contribute
compared to the other parts of nature?  Are not those emissions "bad" also?

Do forest fires (which occur regularly in many parts of the world)
constitute "bad" sources of co2?  Are these fires only "bad" sources if
set off by man?  Are they "good" and normal if set off by lightning
because that seems more natural?  Is man part of nature?  Nature disturbs
itself all the time.  So how do we make moral decisions on what is really
bad?  Where does the moral order of "bad" and "good" come from anyway?
What are the influences of these "natural" disruptions on this nature that
we consider so fragile?

Of course, all of the questions have little meaning beyond a concrete
motivational framework.  We need concrete reasons to be stewards of this
earth, not abstract unknowns and ambiguous interpretations/predictions of
future events.

What is the motivation for avoiding pollution of the earth and
environment?  Primary motives will simply be that of conservation of life
and resources for the purpose of existance (beyond any worldview-related
obligation).  It's within the human's best interests to protect their
environment to the best of their ability if they want to preserve their
state of being. Once again, though, concrete reasons for environmental
management (even though this might constitute environmental interferance!)
serve a stronger motive than those debatable reasons related to
green-house gases.  If we make decisions on predictions of unknowns, we
very well may be doing worse for ourselves and the environment and wasting
tons of money in the process (something politicians are very good at).  If
we make decisions based on known destructive tendancies of pollutive
emissions, than I think we have solid evidence for policy making.

In summary, saying that greenhouse gases are "bad" because of an
unpredictable affects on fragile ecosystems is no more helpful than saying
we can fix the world by plugging volcanoes with corks or by installing
giant lightning rods in forests.  Nature itself is unpredictable, produces
massive amounts green-house gases /unpredictably/ through many "natural"
sources, and destroys and regenerates itself cyclicly. Let the scientists
debate it all they want and plot their graphs of variable reliability
concerning past changes.  I think people need to stop depending on them
for making moral decisions: their "right" and "wrong" are mercurial. There
are better reasons to look after the world we live in.

-JJR