minwin

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Nov 28 17:54:31 PST 2006

Tomas Lindquist Olsen wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Looks interesting.  Thanks for the link.  The one thing I was most
>> curious about was whether it uses emulation or wrapping of native
>> widgets.  But I can't find that mentioned anywhere.  All the screen
>> shots seem to show a winXP kind of look and some clearly non-native
>> widgets (like the color picker), so I'm thinking it's emulated with
>> winXP look everywhere?  Is it themeable?
>>
>> Whoa, though, that QTF is crazy!
>> http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$RichText$QTF$en-us.html
>> "WTF" is more what comes to mind... it seems so out of place in a
>> toolkit that puts a priority on simplicity and clarity.
>>
>> They should make T-Shirts:
>>   Got "{{1:2 A1::l40/60R6 at 3 A2::! B1:: B2}}"?
>>

> Ultimate++ is a window less GUI toolkit. Everything is written from
> "scratch" and only the TopWindow has a native handle. They are working
> on skinning in the latest dev releases (which btw have some nice
> features and are pretty stable).

Thanks.  I think both approaches have merit.  Sometimes you really just
want to make a custom widget that draws itself and will work immediately
on every platform (then emulation==good).  But other times you really
want to have the native look-and-feel (then wrapping==good).  Other
times you just want to have a consistent look or theme across all
platforms (then emulation==good).  But some particular things like file
dialogs tend to easier on users if they are native (then wrapping==good).

> Harmonia seems to do some of the same things Ultimate++ does.

Harmonia seems an interesting beastie.  Not quite my cup of tea, but
some interesting ideas there to be sure.

> And yeah QTF is insane :P

The only thing I can figure is that Ultimate++ must have been created by
some BBS hackers who wrote ANSI graphics in their sleep back in the day.

--bb