D Shared Software System 0.8 released!

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Tue Nov 28 19:52:48 PST 2006

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz wrote:
> Little off topic.
>
> I've tried to compile many of packages available through `dsss net list` and
> most of them miserably failed to compile.

Off topic or not, this is extremely valuable information.

A tool like DSSS absolutely needs to start with checking the environment
thoroughly. That includes paths, access rights, libraries, possible
multiple installations of, say, DMD, and other such things. And, it
includes plain and easy to understand error messages, telling what is
wrong, and how to fix it.

/Knowing/ that the target machine is OK makes life a lot easier when the
newly downloaded package doesn't install properly. This saves time and
nerves of all three parties involved.

What might be more difficult is basic checking of the package to be
installed. But the more of the usual suspects we can eliminate up front,
the more time we can dedicate to the non-trivial problems.

Every bad installation tells us how to avoid the same mistake in the
future. So, we need to  examine _why_ your installations failed.