PDF version of D manuals

KlausO oberhofer at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 29 12:31:42 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> I've been taking some heat lately about the D web site not making
> available a PDF version of the D manual that can be downloaded, printed,
> and read offline.
>
> I know some people have made PDFs of the manual before. The trouble is,
> they rapidly go out of date.
>
> So I'm interested in if anyone can recommend a tool that can take text
> and convert it to PDFs. I'm not interested in a tool with a gui
> interface, I want one that can be driven from a script, so this can be
> done automatically with each new release.
>
> (The html version of the manual is currently created automatically using
> a script from Ddoc text files. Such has really cut the workload of
> maintaining a common look/feel of the site.)

I have made very good experiences with tbook.

- Tags are similar to LaTeX commands. If you know LaTeX
   you get into it faster.
- It's not not so burden as docbook (tbook 80 tags - docbook ~400 tags).
- The PDF output via LaTeX is IMHO excellent and could be customized.
- Many output formats. I use it to create PDF and HTMLHelp (via docbook)
from one source.
- It is available for Windows and Linux.

See
http://tbookdtd.sourceforge.net/
for more details.

Klaus