PDF version of D manuals

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Thu Nov 30 01:34:48 PST 2006

Markus Dangl wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund schrieb:
>> A solution that would be more troublesome to implement at first, but that
>> would be more powerful later (and for the D community at large), is to
>> make it possible for DDoc to output DocBook XML (see
>> http://www.docbook.org ), which through some careful transformations can
>> be transformed to any format you like (for X/HTML, just XSL
>> transformations are necessary, using XSL transformations + a XSL-FO
>> processor like FOP (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop), almost any format
>> can be produced, including PDF), and all from the same XML sources.
>>
>> If someone would like to go this route, I might be able to give further
>> tips, I'm setting up a similar process where I'm currently working.
>>

> This is almost what i intended to do by making DDoc spit out (custom)
> XML for me. But since DDoc allows for HTML Tags to be included in the
> documentation i couldn't get it working without additional tools, and
> thats the point where i left...

That is a problem, possibly one could use XML namespaces to separate the
DocBook from the rest. Still, if one wants to use the XML to generate PDF,
then having HTML in there is not a good thing. Should be possible to
transform the HTML to DocBook though.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net