DMD 0.170 release

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:27:43 PDT 2006

Well, I feel a little naggy again so take this with as much salt as
you think it warrants.  But I'm beyond really getting worked up
about the D sega anymore; it mostly won't matter or doesn't matter
to me... much.  Committee or not, Walter seems to make language
design an ... um... interesting pasttime: his decisions are
sometimes excellent, sometimes spontaneous and abrupt, sometimes
unwarranted.  Why leave to a committee what one designer can
accomplish with flourish. ;D

I have to agree with Sean and Ary.  My own opinion: I don't really
understand why "foreach_reverse" was, once again, just tossed into
the language with (what seems to be) a minimum of discussion?  Or
should I really be surprised anymore -- this is becoming a regular
habit of his now, and I begin to wonder what's motivating him...
maybe a 1.0 version?  Yet, I do recall that Walter was getting
itchy fingers when he realized that a reverse iterator was
necessary to make D competitive with C++ (?).  And here we have it,
another quick addition of an ugly syntax, a tacky looking keyword
that is as lovely as a bandaid bridging a broken bone.

I thought D was about clean design. Isn't the trick for fixing this
less about adding another keyword and more about thinking through a
solution that's widely applicable.  Does "foreach_reverse" really
qualify as orthogonal?  If we look at other languages (especially
functional varieties) adding a keyword for each new traversal
syntax doesn't appear to be the order of the day.  If I recall
correctly it's more about properties and modifiers of the
list/expressions themselves (not sure if that was worded clearly).
Cannot foreach be extended in the same manner... "foreach" appears
to fit its purpose well. As Sean indicated: "that foreach doesn't
imply an order in which elements will be visited".  I'm sure the
keyword can be reused in the fashion of reversal as well.

Well, will you look at that.  Isn't that irony?  We got our rolls
reversed, I think.  I used to be Walter that was hesitant to add
keywords to the language.  Go figure! :D

-JJR