New string implementation: dstring 1.0

Olli Aalto olli.aalto at cardinal.fi
Tue Oct 24 03:30:48 PDT 2006

Chris Miller wrote:
> Check out the FAQ at http://www.dprogramming.com/dstring.php and give it
> a spin.
> Documentation is online at
> http://www.dprogramming.com/docs/dstring/dstring.html
>
> Let me know what you think!

Hi!

The dstring module is very nice, but it's lacking one thing that I, at
least personally, am gotten used to. It's that you cannot assign a null
to it.

string str = null;

or

string getAStringWhichMightBeNull() { return null; }

It's not a big thing but makes using the string a bit clumsy.

One another thing. Not necessarily dstring's fault, but I tried
compiling it with C::B in release mode. I had set every compiler option
available for the release build and when I compiled I started getting
errors about functions not returning any values. They were functions
which had switches, which default cases had return statements.
I don't know which flag causes this behavior, but a debug build works
just fine.

O.