DMD 0.166 release

Derek Parnell derek at psyc.ward
Fri Sep 1 17:15:18 PDT 2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:59:18 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

>> suggestion that in/out/inout be
>> specified at the call side as well.
>
> Yes, it would be the same. But I think the interface should be set by
> the definition, not the use.

Yes we agree. But the purpose of this suggestion is not to 'set the
definition' but to 'document the usage' of the definition. The purpose is
to help both the compiler and human reader to validate the intention of the
coder. The definition would still be set when declaring the function but if
the compiler optionally allowed parameter storage class keywords at the
point of invocation, you could help ensure that the coder is doing what she
intended to do. It is a form of DbC.

> That's the usual practice with programming
> languages, and I've never seen it raised as an issue before.

So what? You are in the wonderful position of creating a useful and superb
tool that can be very special. You have been a trail blazer and can
continue to be one.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia