Is DMD 0.166 RC 1.0?

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Sat Sep 2 18:11:41 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Any compelling reason why not? I know that everyone (including me) wants
> more features, more improvements, etc., but nothing about calling it 1.0
> will prevent that from happening.

Um, it ought to.

I think you ought to branch.  Branch off 1.0 with a feature freeze, and
also an "experimental" new-features new-stuff branch.  Rather than
rejecting all new features, put them in the experimental branch.  That
branch then later becomes 1.1 or 2.0 (depending on how you choose to
number, etc).  That way, people who just want a stable software platform
can choose 1.0, and those who live on the bleeding edge can choose the
experimental branch.

  - Gregor Richards