Announcing new app framework

freeagle dalibor.free at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 04:32:20 PDT 2006

Jeff  wrote / napísal(a):
> freeagle wrote:
>> Hello, I started to work on a cross-platform app framework based
>> around an OpenGL GUI library. You can find more info at
>> http://freedev.yweb.sk/projects/libraries/universal/info.html
>>
>> freeagle
>
> I've been wondering why OpenGL is so appealing to people for this sort
> of thing. Wouldn't Cairo be more suitable (since OpenGL could then be
> used as desired, but not strictly required), especially considering the
> - then relatively easy - integration of other handy libraries like Pango?

Thanks for the reply,

I read some info about cairo, and it looked very promising. It could be
possible to wrap cairo as an advanced 2D subsystem of the framework, and
I really started to think about it. Until I found this at cairo site:

"For the time being disregard the idea of drawing into the same surface
or texture with cairo- and OpenGL-calls. This is possible, but not in a
very straight forward fashion. Also threadding-issues are not covered
here at the moment. Everything happens in one thread right now."

They say using both cairo and gl calls to one surface is possible, but
not that easy. While this can be solved, the second part of the quote
really turned me down. As I wrote on my site, the framework will use
thorough use of threads. Until cairo can't guarantee it's thread-safe
status, I will not implement is as part of the framework.

Freeagle