Is DMD 0.166 RC 1.0?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon Sep 4 02:17:30 PDT 2006

xs0 wrote:
> This is almost OT, but for several Java coders I know, not being able to
> type
>
> new int[3][4][5]
>
> and
>
> new int[][] {
>    { bibi(), bubu() },
>    { a+b, c+d }
> }
>
> made a _far_ worse first impression than the version number (as in,
> quote, "you're kidding, right?"). And it seems so simple to implement..
> If you ask me, you really need to add those before going 1.0 (it's bad
> enough for Javans that Interface[] is not Object[] ;)

My experiences with people who won't use D because it doesn't have
specific feature X is that they won't use it when feature X is
implemented, or when Y, Z, A, B and C are implemented. They're used to
the language they currently use, and will never change.

We can easily get sucked into a rat race trying to please people who
haven't the slightest inclination to use D (or any language other than
the one they currently use).

I'd much rather work on the features the people who have *already*
switched to D need to do outrageously cool things.

You mean Java doesn't have free functions? No out parameters? No nested
functions? No templates? No versioning? No operator overloading? No lazy
evaluation? No 80 bit floats? No stack allocation? No structs? No array
slicing? No direct access to C? You're kidding, right? <g>